There are convenient flights from many US cities to Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU). There is also a daily direct flight between RDU and London Heathrow Airport on American Airlines.
The airport is about 30 minutes drive from the Duke campus and the hotels mentioned below.
Workshop Hotels Information:
- Millennium Hotel:
2800 Campus Walk Avenue, Durham, NC 27705-4479, (919) 383-8575 (free shuttle bus between hotel and Duke campus, about 2 miles)
Ask for the Duke rate $111/day plus tax
- Directions from Raleigh-Durham International Airport:
Follow signs to I-40 West to 147 North.
- From hotel to Duke Free Electron Laser Lab (DFELL) building:
Take right turn upon leaving the hotel parking lot; make a left turn at traffic light onto Moreene Road; continue straight through traffic light on TowerView Road and then make another left at the first stop light onto Science Drive. You should park in the Bryan Center parking Garage which is located on the right side just before the traffic circle in front of the Physics building. The DFELL is located on Circuit drive just behind the Physics building.
- Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel:
One Europa Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27517, (919) 968-4900 (free shuttle bus between hotel and Duke campus)
- Visitors must ask for the “Duke University Rate”: $104/day pre-tax (rates may go up when the availability of rooms becomes limited)
- Brookwood Inn: $74 a night. Visitors must ask for the Duke University rate and must also identify that they are with the Physics Department. (walking distance to campus, about one mile)
- Comfort Inn: $65 a night. Request the Duke rate (short drive from Duke)
- Washington Duke Inn: 3001 Cameron Boulevard, Durham, NC 27705, (919) 490-0999, Sun.-Weds. $159, Thurs.-Sat. $189 (walking distance, about one mile)